Saturday, January 21, 2006

On an entirely unrelated matter, I'm playing with a new router/modem, and it's driving me bonkers.
It's a dynamode r-adsl-c4w-g and I have to say it's the most confusing, frustrating bit of kit I've encountered, recently.

It seems to have thought of all the right bits and just chosen not to implement them in anyway usable.

There's a remote logging facility. Which is fine. Except that it doesn't log, for instance, connection errors. Oh no, it logs what pages I call up when I use the html interface... which, like, Doh! I already *know*, plus useful information such as:

2006-01-21 18:55:48 Daemon.Debug 192.168.5.254 pppd[191]: rcvd [LCP EchoReq id=0xfd magic=0xfaaaf71 3e 79 0a 02]

Riiiiiggght. So you're not going to tell me who made the request or to what port, then?

So I have no idea whether the problem I have logging into yahoo, for example, is due to my pc, the yahoo service or the stupid router. How crap.

Furthermore there's a telnet log in. Great, thought I; This web interface might be noddy but I can just change the syslog settings in the config files.
Oh no. The system is based on:
Linux version 2.4.17_mvl21-malta-mips_fp_le
and

BusyBox v0.61.pre (2005.04.08-11:36+0000) Built-in shell (ash)


it has, like, 20 commands to play with, total. The only way to edit the config files is through cat, which is a complete mare; and since I'm afraid of buggering the whole thing up I'm stuck here with no firewall whatsoever while I work out where the confangled setting is that will block everything apart from what I allow.

Last but not least, there is nowhere I can find that tells me what Clients are connected through the thing. I mean, it did something when I had DHCP enabled, but I want fixed IPs because I'm running 2 servers and frankly I'm happier knowing which computer is what number. Add to that a couple of temperamental wireless connections and frankly: Arghghghghghghghghhghgh I'm going back to my billion *grump*

3 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

I'd leave the dhcp enabled, if necessary, just write a little app on each server that will hand you the current IP. Much simpler, and the router will be happier. It works for me.

1:26 am  
Blogger TeeBee said...

..write a..? Problem is I've got port forwarding set up etc etc; but I'll look into it next time I feel like braving hardware world (imminent; major house re-arrange due shortly LOL) Cheers :)

8:14 am  
Blogger Jerry said...

pretty simple to do, if you ge round to it. In asp, create a page in the wwwroot of the server, name it whatever you like. all you need in the body of that page is the following:

Server's Current IP is:
< %
response.write(Request.ServerVariables(LOCAL_ADDR)) & "< br />"
% >

It will return the current IP address of the server in question for an http request such as:

http://foo/getip.asp

Hope this helps.

Good luck with the re-arrange

12:36 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home