Saturday, January 28, 2006

Did you hear that?

I am a self-published author.

Did you hear the quality control just drop, there?

I've just uploaded two short stories to lulu. I haven't got the time nor inclination to push them with any publishers, but I don't think they're AWFUL so if anyone wants to read them, they're welcome.

I have put a price tag against them, albeit a tiny one.

Why?
1. Market support. That sounds pretentious, but it's true.
2. If (big "if") there are any downloads, I want to know it's because someone wanted to read them, rather than just saw the word "free!"

The price is tiny, and on my "storefront" I offer to send copies to anyone who makes a donation to the organisations listed in each book.

In the case of Genie, that's enchantedramblings (only fair)

In the case of Abacus Dreams, that's savewildelephants.com and enchantedramblings.

Now, going by my clients websites, I reckon on a sale every 20 to 40 views. So, I've had 4 views of abacus since I uploaded it. It's currently on the first page *if* you sort by date. Assuming, say, 7 views this week, before I move elsewhere in the listings, I reckon if I do absolutely nothing by way of promotion I'll get 20 views by the end of February, and 40 by the end of June. So by the end of June I expect either myself, enchanted ramblings or Peta to be 80cents richer.

Whooo-hoooo! By this time next year, we'll be milwionaires, Rodders!

Hmm... so I'd better up the odds a little and put the link here:
http://www.lulu.com/teebee
LOL

Now, one of the scary things that happened while doing this, is that the 2 extracts I chose to post against each story ~BOTH~ had typos in. Now whether this is because some subconscious part of me just wanted to draw that to my attention, or whether I littered both stories with typos, or whether I have a strange desire to ruin the "best bits" of everything I do, I don't know. But there they were heh


Oooh! and the other thing that happened was I played with the rating thing, only to discover that 1. it did accept my vote, even tho I'm the author and 2. I couldn't get rid of it. So the rating you see is my own. How sad is that???? (See how honest I am?? LOL)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home