Monday, August 07, 2006

Paypal Double Charged Me!

(I'm not as excited as the title suggests, but since I've just been hunting tinternet to make sure I'm not alone in this, I thought I'd make the title nice and obvious)

Thing is, Paypal just sent me an email, saying
We are writing to advise you that due to a technical error each Direct Debit payment you sent on the [date] to fund your PayPal payments was inadvertently debited from your bank account twice.

To rectify this error, on the [date], we added funds that equal each duplicate debit to the balance of your PayPal account.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this error may have caused you. Our team is working with our banking partners to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to call us on 08707 307 191.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal


Which is... odd.

Seems I'm not alone, though. In fact, I'm no where near being the first effected -
this article from September 2005 suggests the problem's an ongoing one.

Well, anyway, sh*t happens, and if I'm honest my first thought was "oh *dear*, it looks like I might as well buy another ebook, since the funds are halfway spent already". So, I lined up a payment to go out from the £?.?? credited to my paypal account, and hit 'pay now' (or equivalent)...

...only to be told that another transaction was midway through being posted, and I should go and look at my account history.

Which I did, and found that paypal had decided to pay my credit balance into my bank account. (*sigh* there went the excuse to buy more ebooks).

But wait, what's that there? The transaction details read...

Total Amount: -£?.?? GBP [less than mispaid amount]
Fee Amount: -£?.?? GBP
Net Amount: -£?.?? GBP [equal to mispaid amount]

So my bank will receive... the total amount? less than the error?

Hmmmm... I'm going off to watch my bank statements, I think...

5 Comments:

Blogger TeeBee said...

well, because I'm anal, I'm going to reply to myself to keep a track of things. Not that the amount we're talking about is huge here, but if it's happening to loads of people then paypal are going to be making a nice lot of interest from this little 'mistake'. Clever, but not exactly honest.

Anyway, I sent off a general query yesterday through the help system, and got no reply.

So, I filed a 'complaint' this morning - vis.
--------
Paypal credited my account with £?.?? due to a double-charging error, this I was happy with.

However, transaction:
[transaction ID]
was *not* made or authorised by me, and has incurred a £0.25 charge which will mean that the amount that reaches my bank account will be *less* than the amount paypal owes me.

Please can this transaction be cancelled,
OR can the fee be removed,
OR can the total amount be raised so that the final amount reaching my bank account is £?.??

Thank you
----------

To which paypal's website said:

-----------
Complaint Received

PayPal Europe Limited acknowledges receipt of your complaint dated 8 Aug. 2006.

We will investigate the contents of your correspondence and reply upon the completion of our review.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal Executive Escalations Agent

-----------

This reminds me of the time Halifax 'lost' £2k my gran left me... well, sort of...

10:32 am  
Blogger TeeBee said...

Whoo-hooo:
---------------
Dear [TeeBee],

We recently communicated to you that each Direct Debit payment you sent on the [date] to fund your PayPal payments was inadvertently deducted from your bank account twice.

We are pleased to advise you that we have now corrected the situation. We did this by first crediting your PayPal balance with each duplicated payment and then withdrawing each duplicated payment from your PayPal account to your bank account. This payment will appear in your bank account within the next five to seven working days.

If you log in to your PayPal account and review your ‘History Log’, you may notice that the standard withdrawal fee of £0.25 GBP has been applied as part of this process. We would like to assure you that this amount will be credited to your PayPal account within the next two days.

Once again, we would like to apologise for any inconvenience this error may have caused you.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call us on 08707 307 191.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

6:18 pm  
Blogger impwork said...

Good to hear you got it sorted :-)

The Halifax once lost my branch (I kid you not). Oddly enough it was with the account my Great Gran left me.

Is there a pattern I wonder?

9:04 pm  
Blogger TeeBee said...

Hmmm was it about seven years ago?? LOL

9:06 pm  
Blogger impwork said...

It would have been the early 90s

2:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home