Monday, January 30, 2006

eek

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4662280.stm

Now I'm a good girl, mostly; but the thought that governments might want to record what I search for on google et al is just plain terrifying!

I don't know if it's urban legend or not, but in my "scouting" days, I was told that there is a "blacklist" of books in public libraries, which are left as bait for prospective bombmakers etc etc. If you got out more than 2 of these books - so I was told - then you were automatically put on a list somewhere, trailed for a year or so and had your bank transactions monitored. Okay so the last bit *might* be an exagerration, but still...

Thing is, it *is* scary to be monitored - but it's also reassuring, and probably in a completely self-delusional way. I mean, ifI were really into bombs and stuff (and I'm not. Last bomb I made was an origami water bomb, when I was about 9. Now *that* was fun hehe), I'm fairly certain I'd buy all my books second hand, using an alias, and I sure as heck wouldn't use my personal internet connection *if* I went surfing. But, short of having James Bond types for every, I dunno, 100 in the population, I don't see what else the intelligence services are supposed to do. That's one James Bond *per* intelligence service, per 100. Which is probably about 80 James Bond types for every 20 Pussy Galores. Way-hey!

Oops, my brain just ran out of intelligent thought.

3 Comments:

Blogger TeeBee said...

It occurs to me that more likely triggers are searches like "secret underground tunnels into the middle of the pentagon where I can pland tracking devices and take over the world!! *evil cackle"... and that being so, the most likely people to search for such things are not, I would have thought, evil masterminds, but journalists and aspiring authors.

Now, I've no immediate interest in writing espionage plots, but if I ever do, I sure as heck don't want MI5 or whomever knocking at my door.

Therefore I'm toying with either a) starting a campaign where *everyone in the entire world* has to search for underground tunnels, at least once a week, or b) running scared

10:34 am  
Blogger Kim Knox said...

*You're* running scared?

Writing Merlin's Price will probably get me arrested, LOL

8:17 pm  
Blogger TeeBee said...

vaguely related:

reporters sans frontiers

http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=433

10:14 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home